PROGRAM OVERVIEW***PLEASE NOTE THAT OUR SIS+UPF SEMESTER PROGRAM IS NOT AVAILABLE IN SPRING 2021***
Through this new hybrid semester program, the Barcelona SAE Academic Study Center at the School for International Studies (SIS) combines courses alongside a local institution, UPF, which is rated one of the top universities in Spain.
This program allows for courses in a variety of fields which include business, humanities, and hispanic studies. Courses are offered in both English and Spanish, allowing students to become immersed in the local culture.
Students will take courses at the SIS city center campus in the morning, and courses at the historic Ciutadella campus at the UPF during the afternoons. This program provides students with the best of both worlds – small class sizes and local immersion.
BARCE-LOCAL INTEGRATION WEEKA unique feature of this semester program is our Barce-Local Integration Week where students will be given a full week of integration activities before classes begin. The week will include a service learning project, interaction with local students, diversity workshops, guest lectures and language crash courses. In addition, our Cultural Mentor program will help students transition well into the city and set the path for our ongoing cultural curriculum in classes and activities throughout the semester.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITIES
BARCELONA SAE ACADEMIC STUDY CENTER (SIS)
Located in the heart of the city, the Barcelona SAE Academic Study Center (SIS) is our most centrally located campus option. SIS boasts fantastic local and international professors, many of whom are working professionals in the field they teach. SIS maintains small class sizes and focuses on experiential learning, which means that students will get individualized attention and will participate actively during class. Each course includes a variety of field studies, museum visits, and guided reflection that closely tie the courses to the city itself.
The courses offered at SIS encompass international and cross-cultural topics, focusing on the city by discussing local history, art, architecture, literature and geography. Our Spanish Language courses focus on spoken language skills and include useful tools for students to debrief their experiences both in and out of the classroom.
UNIVERSITAT POMPEU FABRA (UPF)
Established in 1990, the Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF) is one of Barcelona’s newest institutions and has already earned an International Excellence Campus label from the Spanish Ministry of Education. In 2019, the UPF was voted best university in Spain, and the campus is set in remodeled historic buildings just two blocks from the beach.
The Barcelona Program for Interdisciplinary Studies (BaPIS) constitutes the cornerstone of UPF’s strategy for internationalization and innovation. By convening students from different backgrounds, from UPF and other countries, the program offers a space of convergence between instructors and students to set up fruitful dialogue and communal learning. By breaking down the barriers between knowledge areas, it promotes an interdisciplinary approach and the effective cross-fertilization of ideas and initiatives. With its hands-on approach and combination of STEM disciplines, Communication, Humanities and Social Sciences, BaPIS provides a unique environment for developing a crucial tool to rise to today’s challenges.
ESCI, the Business School at the UPF, is located 15 minutes from their Ciutadella Campus and a 10 minute walk from the Barcelona SAE offices. Classes take place next to the Born neighborhood and the gorgeous Ciutadella Park. At ESCI students will find a variety of courses that cover all aspects of Business, Economics and Finance. Courses such as International Management, International Finance, Corporate Finance, Strategic Consumer Insights and many others mean that students will have lots of options to better their knowledge of International Business.
REQUIREMENTSMinimum G.P.A. Requirement
- Junior or Senior Standing
- Although helpful, no previous Spanish language knowledge is required.
- All participants must be 18 years of age by the start of their program, unless they are participating on a customized program through their home institution and have home institution approval.
ACADEMICSBarcelona SAE has worked hard to create a study abroad program that allows you to earn credits in your major, minor, or electives. The courses are specifically designed for international students, meaning that you will be able to take courses in English and/or have the advantage of learning in Spanish at a pace for non-native or fluent speakers.
The Barcelona SAE Academic Center (SIS) is a Spanish institution with U.S. accreditation through Jacksonville University (JU). The Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF) is recognized by the Spanish Ministry of Education as a degree granting institution of higher learning.
Upon completing this program, the JU and UPF transcripts will be sent directly to the student’s home institution.
Before you go abroad, Barcelona SAE strongly recommends that you meet with the study abroad office and/or your academic advisor at your home institution. After your acceptance into the program, you will be required to submit an “Approval Contact for Study Abroad” form that will automatically inform your home institution of your intent to participate in a Barcelona SAE program. With that said, we suggest that students are as transparent as possible about their plans and make an appointment with their study abroad office immediately after submitting their Barcelona SAE application.
The earlier that students plan for their study abroad experience, the easier it will be to get all of their courses pre-approved and know exactly what transfer credit will be received at their home institution. Please remember that it is best to get multiple first and second choice courses pre-approved for your Barcelona SAE program, as this will give you some flexibility in setting up your class schedule. Don’t just think about the courses that are required for your major or minor, but also courses that can fulfill your general education or elective requirements.
Your courses will be taught in English or Spanish and will primarily be lectures with some teamwork involved. Class sizes are small to provide a personalized experience.
Students will take 6 credits at SIS in the morning and can choose from a variety of elective and Spanish courses. They can then choose from any BaPIS courses or International Business & Economics (ESCI) courses in the afternoon for 6 credits at UPF.
SIS - Elective Courses
- Architecture and Urban Design - The Barcelona Example (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Arquitectura y Diseño Urbano - El Ejemplo de Barcelona (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Artistas Famosos de Cataluña - Dalí, Picasso, Miró (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Arts Management – International Perspective & Insights into the Barcelona Cultural Scene (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Barcelona and its Historical Foundations (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Business, Ethics & Government (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Civilización y Cultura Española (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Contemporary Spanish Society (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Cross Cultural Psychology & Early Childhood Development (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Decoding the Secrets of the Great Masterpieces of European Modern Painting (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Deportes y Sociedad en España y Cataluña (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Digital Photography (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Entrepreneurship and the New Economy (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Food and Culture in the Mediterranean Basin (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Geopolitics of the European Union (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Great 20th Century Artists: Picasso, Dalí, Miró (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- International Business (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- International Marketing (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Introducción a la Literatura (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Language Playing, Language Learning (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Spanish Civilization & Culture (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Sports and Society in Spain and Catalonia (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Start-Ups and the Emerging Economy - Creating Your Own Business (3 Credtis, 45 Hours)
- Understanding Barcelona - The Geography of a Global City (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Elementary Spanish Language and Culture - (Level A1, 3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Upper Elementary Spanish Language and Culture - (Level A2, 3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Intermediate Spanish Language and Culture - (Level B1, 3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Upper Intermediate Spanish Language and Culture - (Level B2, 3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Advanced Spanish Language and Culture - (Level C1, 3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Intensive Elementary Spanish Language & Culture – (Level A1/A2, 6 Credits, 90 Hours)
- Intensive Elementary/Intermediate Spanish Language & Culture – (Level A2/B1, 6 Credits, 90 Hours)
- Intensive Intermediate Spanish Language & Culture – (Level B1/B2, 6 Credits, 90 Hours)
- Intensive Upper Intermediate-Advanced Spanish Language & Culture - (Level B2/C1, 6 Credits, 90 Hours)
- For a complete list of courses and syllabi through the BaPIS program, please click here.
- For a complete list of courses and syllabi through the ESCI program, please click here.
- Please note that not all courses listed above will be offered every semester, and the list above are courses and/or subject areas that have been offered in the past by the host institution. Institutions in Barcelona often do not finalize course listings until the beginning of the term, and as such, this list will be updated as the host institution provides additional information.
- For a complete listing of courses that will occur during your specific semester abroad at the Barcelona SAE Academic Center (SIS) + UPF, please contact your Barcelona SAE Advisor.
- In order to receive credit from the Barcelona SAE Academic Study Center (SIS) school of record, Jacksonville University, students must receive a grade of C or higher.
STUDENT LIFEBe prepared to pack a lot into your time abroad! Your Barcelona experience will extend well beyond the classroom, and we are there to help you get the most out of it! Not only do we plan tons of Barcelona SAE Cultural Activities to keep you exploring the local culture, we send you a Weekly Cultural Agenda full of events so that you know what is happening throughout the city. You’ll also have a Cultural Mentor who will help you to get involved in a club or activity based on your interests.
You’ll also enjoy numerous Barcelona SAE Day Trips and Weekend Excursions (locations depend on term/program) that mix historical tours with modern events, while we try to get you off the beaten path to see Spain through a local lens.
And when you’re not with us? We’ll give you a Barcelona SAE Bucket List with 100 ways to experience the city! Go to a Barça game. Check out the Picasso Museum. Window shop in the Bohemian Gracia District. Discover a new restaurant with your Spanish friends. Why not?! There is no end to what you can do in Barcelona!
WHAT'S INCLUDEDOur SIS + UPF Semester Program Includes:
Countdown to Barcelona:
- Group Webinar and Pre-Departure Preparation
- Personalized Advising
- Professional Skype Interview
- Cover Letter & Resume Coaching
- SIS + UPF Tuition and Fees
- Official University Transcripts from Jacksonville University & UPF
- Airport Pick-Up (Must Arrive BEFORE 12:00pm on Program Start Date)
- Logistical & Cultural Orientations
- Housing for the Duration of Program (Homestays include Breakfast/Dinner!)
- Comprehensive Medical & Accident Insurance
- 24-Hour Emergency Support
- English-Speaking Staff
- The Barce-Local Integration Week
- The Barcelona SAE Bucket List
- Overnight and/or Weekend Excursion(s) Outside of Barcelona - Exact # and Locations Dependent on Term
- Day Trip(s) Outside of Barcelona - Exact # and Locations Dependent on Term
- Optional Weekend Excursion to Morocco (Additional Cost Applies)
- Weekly Cultural Agenda (The Local Perspective of What’s Happening Each Week!)
- Weekly Cultural Activities (Cooking Classes, Dance Lessons, Intercambios, Barrio Tours, and MORE!)
- Cultural Mentor Program
- Welcome Activity
- Re-Entry Workshop & Farewell Meal
- Alumni & Career Services
- Invitation to Barcelona SAE’s LinkedIn Alumni Group
- Opportunity to Apply to be a “Barcelona SAE Alumni Ambassador” on Your Home Campus
- Invitations to Study Abroad & Internship Returnee Conferences Throughout the U.S.
- Round-Trip Airfare to/from Barcelona
- Visa Costs (If Applicable)
- Mobile Phones & Charges
- Local Transportation
- Personal Items
Barcelona SAE offers our students a variety of housing options, which means that we have the perfect place in Barcelona for you to call your home away from home. We have carefully selected safe and adequate housing for each student but each living arrangement is different. We make every effort to provide you with your preferred form of housing, but due to space limitations we cannot guarantee that you will get your first choice.
Housing for the program is spread throughout the city of Barcelona. Every neighborhood is easily accessible by public transportation and the city is very walkable. The normal commute in Barcelona is around 45 minutes using public transportation from your housing to your school or internship, it may be a bit more or less than this.
Each neighborhood has a different feel…Les Corts is where the soccer stadium is, Gracia is hipster and bohemian, Eixample has a gay friendly district and incredible architecture, Sagrada Familia has wonderful shopping, Sant Marti & Poblenou are tech powerhouses off the tourist path.
Please click here for more information regarding our housing options.
So…what are you waiting for? APPLY TODAY and get ready to embark on the Barcelona experience of a lifetime!
NC State Application Instructions
(Please read each step carefully)
- Submit an application through Barcelona SAE to the Academic Study Center (SIS) + UPF Hybrid Semester program.
- Barcelona SAE will require your NC State study abroad advisor to approve your application. Please note that before they can approve your Barcelona SAE application, you will need to have submitted your PackAbroad application and be in Accepted status.
- Complete an NC State application for Barcelona SAE by clicking 'Apply Now' on this page.
- NC State students will receive an automatic affiliate partner grant towards your Barcelona SAE program (approximately $2000). They also have a variety of merit- and need-based scholarships and other grants available.
- Financial aid is generally available to help qualified NC State students to meet the expenses of study abroad. For additional funding, NC State students should consider applying for a study abroad scholarship, and check out other ideas for funding study abroad
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Fall||2021||03/15/2021 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Students will be notified of acceptance in 2 to 4 weeks.