The STEM Semester/Quarter Program at the Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF) is for those students with an interest in science, technology, digital media, and engineering who wish to enhance their knowledge, skills, and abilities with an international twist. This program is a great fit for students studying computer science, biomedical engineering, audio engineering or digital media!
The highly regarded UPF has organized a dynamic set of program components that allow you to mix and match to tailor your experience to suit your needs and interests, including the opportunity to gain practical hands on experience. No Spanish, no worries! Courses and experiential learning tracks can be completed in English.
Established in 1990, the Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF) is one of Barcelona’s newest institutions has already earned an International Excellence Campus label from the Spanish Ministry of Education. The campus is full of remodeled historic buildings and sits in the heart of Barcelona just two blocks from the beach. Imagine unwinding between classes while listening to the waves of the Mediterranean Sea.
- Minimum G.P.A. Requirement: 2.7
- Class Requirement: Junior-Senior Standing
- Language Requirement: For courses taught in Spanish, a minimum of four semesters/quarters (or equivalent) of college-level Spanish is required. For courses taught in English, no previous Spanish language is required
The Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF) and Barcelona SAE have worked hard to create a study abroad program that allows you to earn credits in your major, minor, or electives. The courses are especially designed for international students, meaning that you will be able to take courses in English and/or have the advantage of learning in Spanish at a pace for non-native or fluent speakers.
The Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF) is recognized by the Spanish Ministry of Education as a degree granting institution of higher learning. After completing a Barcelona SAE program at the UPF, the transcript will be sent directly to the student’s home institution.
Before you go abroad, Barcelona SAE strongly recommends that you meet with the study abroad office and/or your academic advisor at your home institution. After your acceptance into the program, you will be required to submit a “Approval Contact for Study Abroad” form that will automatically inform your home institution of your intent to participate on a Barcelona SAE program. With that said, we suggest that students are as transparent as possible about their plans and make an appointment with their study abroad office immediately after submitting their Barcelona SAE application.
The earlier that students plan for their study abroad experience, the easier it will be to get all of their courses pre-approved and know exactly what transfer credit will be received at their home institution. Please remember that it is best to get multiple first and second choice courses pre-approved for your Barcelona SAE program, as this will give you some flexibility in setting up your class schedule. Don’t just think about the courses that are required for your major or minor, but also courses that can fulfill your general education or elective requirements.
Your courses will be taught in English or Spanish and will primarily be lectures with some teamwork involved. Students will be in class at the UPF with other international students.
Please note that for full time enrollment you will need to take 20-25 ECTS, which equates to 4-5 classes.
- Audiovisual Engineering Courses
- Image Processing
- Sound and Music Processing
- Voice and Audio Encoding Systems
- Advanced Visualization
- Real Time Audio Processing
- Audiovisual Production Lab
- Pattern Recognition
- Computer Science Engineering Courses
- Network Architecture
- Development of Distributed Applications
- Telecommunications Engineering Courses
- Mobile Communications
- Multimedia Transmission Protocols
- Radio Communications
- Deployment of Telecommunications Infrastructure
- Biomedical Engineering Courses
- Bioinstrumentation and Biosensors
- Analysis of Biomedical Images
- Project Management and Innovation in Biomedical Engineering
- Introduction to Biopharmaceutical Design
- Systems Biology
- Advanced Synthetic Biology
- Modeling Complex Diseases
You can also choose from classes among these programs:
- Hispanic & European Studies Program
- International Business Program
- Spanish Language Program
- PEI (Advanced)
- Traducción e Interpretación (Advanced)
- Please note that not all courses listed above will be offered every semester/quarter, and the list above are courses and/or subject areas that have been offered in the past by the host institution. Institutions in Barcelona often do not finalize course listings until the beginning of the term, and as such, this list will be updated as the host institution provides additional information.
- For a complete listing of courses that will occur during your specific semester/quarter abroad at the UPF, please contact your Barcelona SAE Advisor.
The STEM Semester/Quarter Program at the UPF Includes:
Countdown to Barcelona:
While in Barcelona:
- Group Webinar and Pre-Departure Preparation
- Personalized Advising
- One Year Digital Subscription to the New York Times
Cultural & Social Activities:
- UPF Tuition and Fees
- Official University Transcript from Universitat Pompeu Fabra
- Airport Pick-Up (Must Arrive BEFORE 12:00pm on Program Start Date)
- Logistical & Cultural Orientations
- Housing for the Duration of Program (Homestays include Breakfast/Dinner!)
- Comprehensive Medical & Accident Insurance through CISI
- 24-Hour Emergency Support
- Full-Time, Native English Speaking Staff of Barcelona Experts
- Independent Travel Advice
An optional four day excursion to Morocco is available at an additional cost.
- A Weekend Excursion Outside of Barcelona (Madrid, Zaragoza, Seville, Granada, Basque Country, etc.)
- Multiple Day Trips Outside of Barcelona (Tarragona, Girona, Montserrat, Figures, Besalú, etc.)
- The “Barcelona Bucket List” (Suggestions of 100 Different Things to Experience in Barcelona!)
- Weekly Cultural Agenda (The Local Perspective of What’s Happening Each Week!)
- Weekly Cultural Activities (Cooking Classes, Salsa Lessons, Intercambios, Barrio Tours, and MORE!)
- Mentor Program & Cultural Dinner
- Welcome Meal
- Re-Entry Workshop & Farewell Meal
For Continued Success After the Program:
…and SO MUCH MORE!
- Alumni & Career Services
- Invitation to Barcelona SAE’s LinkedIn Alumni Group
- Opportunity to Apply for Barcelona SAE’s “Best of the Best” Internship Program
- Opportunity to Apply to be a “Barcelona SAE Campus Ambassador Intern” on Your Home Campus
- Invitations to Study Abroad & Internship Returnee Conferences Throughout the U.S.
The Program Does Not Include:
- Round-Trip Airfare to/from Barcelona
- Visa Costs (If Applicable)
- Mobile Phones & Charges
- Local Transportation
- Personal Items
So…what are you waiting for? APPLY TODAY and get ready to embark on the Barcelona experience of a lifetime!
Barcelona Study Abroad Experience (SAE) is proud to introduce TODOS (The Outcomes-based Diversity Outreach Strategy). TODOS is focused on results and outcomes of diversity measures put in place to remove the barriers keeping students and educational institutions of varied diverse economic, educational, ethnic and social backgrounds from studying or interning abroad.
TODOS is based on four pillars:
-Providing Financial Resources
-Inclusive Academic Programming
In support of the first pillar of TODOS, Providing Financial Resources, we are proud to introduce three new scholarships:
The TODOS Need-Based Scholarship aims to assist diverse individuals in removing some financial barriers when pursuing programs abroad.
-$1500 for Semester/Quarter Study Abroad Participants
-$1000 for Internship Participants
-$500 for Summer/Winter Study Abroad Participants
-$250 for Summer/Winter Faculty-Led or Custom Programs (8 weeks or less)
The TODOS MSI (Minority Serving Institution) Scholarship is open to those attending Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs), Tribal Colleges and Universities (TCUs), Hispanic Serving Institutions (HSIs), and Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander Serving Institutions (AANAPISIs).
-$1000 for Semester/Quarter Study Abroad Participants
-$750 for Internship Participants
-$350 for Summer/Winter Study Abroad Participants
-$250 for Summer/Winter Faculty-Led or Custom Programs (8 weeks or less)
The TODOS Summer Ambassador Scholarship provides a full scholarship to the Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS) program each summer. This
scholarship includes full tuition for 3 credits + accommodation for a Barcelona SIS summer student. Please note that the awardee must pay the $200 application deposit and any associated travel expenses.
For full details on TODOS, scholarship requirements, and instructions on how to apply, please visit https://www.barcelonasae.com/diversity or
contact us to schedule a time to discuss how Barcelona SAE can meet the needs of your students, faculty and institution.