SFS AUSTRALIA: RAINFOREST TO REEF (SEMESTER)
- Terms: Fall, Spring
- Credits: 16 semester-hour credits
- Prerequisites: One semester of college-level ecology, biology, or environmental studies/science; 18 years of age
- Application Deadline: Rolling admissions. Early applications encouraged
- Financial Aid: All accepted students can apply for need-based scholarships, grants, and loans
Discover the incredible biodiversity of the rainforest and study ecological resilience in the face of environmental threats like climate change. Learn about management and conservation issues in the rainforest and examine their downstream impacts on the Great Barrier Reef. Join community restoration ecology initiatives and study environmental policy and community conservation approaches while gaining skills in field research and data collection.
- Explore the world’s oldest rainforest – the Daintree – then work alongside citizen volunteers to regenerate critical rainforest habitats.
- Travel to the Great Barrier Reef to learn about the biological links between rainforest and reef ecosystems.
- Experience firsthand the transition from savannas on the edge of the Outback to the lush green coastal rainforests and mangroves.
Students live and study at the SFS Center for Rainforest Studies. Our Center lies at the end of a narrow, winding road, in the middle of a lush rainforest. The 153-acre property is surrounded by protected World Heritage forests, and you can see incredible wildlife from the front steps of your cabin. Nearby Yungaburra and Cairns provide the occasional return to civilization.
- Climate change
- Rainforest fragmentation and recovery
- Marsupial behavior
- Aboriginal ecotourism
- Forest ecotones
- Habitat restoration
- GIS and GPS
- Species identification and population monitoring
- Forest survey methods
- Animal behavior observation
- Citizen science protocols
- Research design and implementation
- Data collection and analysis
- Research presentation
CONNECT WITH SFS
Visit the SFS website
Call the Admissions Hotline at 800.989.4418
Read updates from the field on the SFS Blog
Follow SFS on Instagram
Watch student videos on YouTube
NC State Application Instructions
(Please read each step carefully)
- Submit an Application for SFS Australia
- SFS will require your NC State study abroad advisor's approval of your application. Please note than before they can approve your SFS application, you will need to have submitted your PackAbroad application and be in Accepted status.
- Complete an NC State application for SFS by clicking 'Apply Now' on this page.
- Financial aid is generally available to help qualified NC State students meet the expenses of study abroad. For additional funding, NC State students should consider applying for a study abroad scholarship, and check out other ideas for funding study abroad
- All transcripts should be sent to the NC State Study Abroad Office