Environmental Field Studies Abroad
SFS creates transformative study abroad experiences through field-based learning and research. Our educational programs explore the human and ecological dimensions of the complex environmental problems faced by our local partners, contributing to sustainable solutions in the places where we live and work. The SFS community is part of a growing network of individuals and institutions committed to environmental stewardship.
Instructions for Applying to a Non-NC State Program (Please carefully read the 3 steps)
1. Submit application materials to School for Field Studies.
You will need to go to the SFS website
to explore their programs and open an application online and may require paying an application fee to the program provider. Programs vary, and you should contact SFS directly for specifics.
2. Additionally, in order to remain enrolled at NC State during your time abroad, you must complete this SFS Non-NC State program application by clicking the "Apply Now" button on this page.
As part of this application, you will download and print the Course Approval Form. You will take this form, and a printout of course descriptions for all courses that you might want to take while abroad, to your Academic Advisor and also to the designated advisor in your major college(s) for approval for transfer of the classes you plan to take abroad towards NC State course requirements. Course descriptions should be obtained from the program sponsor.
Students going on non-NC State semester programs are required to attend the pre-departure orientation, and students going on non-NC State summer programs are strongly encouraged to attend orientation. You will complete similar financial aid information as students going on NC State programs. Students going on non-NC State programs are eligible to apply for scholarships from the Study Abroad Office.
All transcripts for non-NC State Programs should be sent to the Study Abroad Office at:
NCSU Study Abroad Office
315 University College Commons
Campus Box 7344
Raleigh, NC 27695
3. You should now have an application on file with your program provider and an application on file with the NC State Study Abroad Office. Please complete the NC State study abroad application by the deadline.
- Financial aid is generally available to help qualified NC State students meet the expenses of study abroad. For additional funding, NC State students should consider applying for a study abroad scholarship, and check out other ideas for funding study abroad.
- All transcripts should be sent to the NC State Study Abroad Office
To start your application for SFS, visit their website at www.fieldstudies.org
SFS Contact Information: http://www.fieldstudies.org/about/contact