Gain practical international experience in your field, build your resumé, and participate in our professional and intercultural internship curriculum…all while staying close to home. This is a great time to gain professional work experience and cultural understanding from the comfort of your home. We created the Barcelona SAE Virtual Internship program to help you do just that. Affordable, environmentally friendly, and designed to give you the professional experience you’ll need to help you build your resume, this is the program for you. Although helpful, no previous Spanish language knowledge is required.
A virtual internship will allow you to gain professional experience and build your resume, while working remotely. The hours are flexible, as you will be working on projects and tasks and checking in with your supervisor twice a week to report progress and findings. While you’re working remotely, you will also participate in group learning sessions, coaching and developing skill sets that will help you get even more out of your internship experience.
Interns are expected to spend approximately 20 hours each week working on projects for their internship placement. The work is mostly independent and the specific schedule for each intern will vary slightly according to the needs of their company. You will be expected to complete a total of 160 hours and will have approximately 1 hour per week (normally twice weekly 30 minute check ins) with your supervisor.
In addition, one hour a week there will be guided online learning to receive the Barcelona SAE Cultural & Professional Development Certification. This begins before your internship with an orientation and throughout your experience offers guided reflection and coaching to help keep you on the path of understanding the cultural, professional, and logistical pieces of worklife in Barcelona.
Advertising, Business, Education, Entrepreneurship, Event Planning, Finance & Economics, Graphic Design, Human Resources & PR, IT, Journalism, Marketing, NGO – Social Work, Translation - Our internships are project-based. While each internship is unique, here are some examples of tasks that may apply:
- Research Projects – Carrying out research projects within the industry of the company, identifying key players and searching for new sales opportunities.
- Business Development – Helping the company to make decisions based on data, research and analysis. Developing methods to increase the value of current customers while attracting new ones.
- Operations – Understand the daily tasks of a company and focus on improving the processes in place to maximize efficiency.
- Administration – Creating spreadsheets and preparing presentations, arranging for meetings and managing databases.
- Social Media – Creating social media calendars, editing and posting content in different platforms, engaging the community and finding new leads and influencers
- Content Creation – Improve your communication skills while updating websites, blogging, article writing, or working on visual content through photography, photo editing, videography, graphic design, etc.
- Finance – Research on funds and investors, creation of financial plans and practices for startups.
- Competitor Analysis – Research on competitors from the industry or in other regions to determine if your company is performing at the level of the competition, staying on the cutting edge of new product development, and to determine the competition’s capabilities and positioning.
Missed the NC State application deadline?
- Submit an application to Barcelona SAE Virtual Internships.
- Barcelona SAE may require that your NC State study abroad advisor to approve your application. You will need to have submitted your PackAbroad application (part 2 below) and be in Accepted status before the Study Abroad Office will sign enrollment agreement forms.
- All transcripts for should be sent to the Study Abroad Office.
- Complete the Virtual Internships: Barcelona SAE application with NC State by clicking the "Apply Now" button on this page, including the Course Approval Form (necessary course descriptions should be obtained from the program sponsor) and admin fee.
- Note: students studying in online programs are not eligible to apply for scholarships from the Study Abroad Office, but may be eligible for financial aid if applying by the priority deadline above.
If Barcelona SAE is still accepting applications or you've already applied to them directly, email us at email@example.com
to initiate an application. Please note that late applications will not be eligible for financial aid and the virtual global internship credits will not count towards academic progress units. However, other program benefits apply and credits will still be transferrable.