Gain an edge that sets you apart from other graduates in your future career field! An internship in the cosmopolitan city of Barcelona offers hands-on professional experience paired with new cross-cultural communication skills and your proven ability to actively participate in the global workforce. There is no better way to prepare yourself for success from graduation and beyond.
Barcelona SAE internships are 100% customized to your major, preferences, experience, and career goals. This means you will be doing hands-on work in your field and developing professional intercultural skills, while boosting your resume as you move towards graduation and beyond. Placements are available with start dates throughout the year in English and Spanish for a wide variety of majors. You can choose from 4-12 week options with the opportunity to receive academic credit.
- Minimum G.P.A. Requirement: 2.5
- Class Requirement: Freshman-Senior Standing
- Language Requirement: Although helpful, no previous Spanish language knowledge is required.
WHY INTERN IN BARCELONA?
- ENGLISH AND SPANISH PLACEMENTS OFFERED: While speakers of both Spanish and English will have even more position possibilities, keep in mind that some organizations in Barcelona offer placements that even prefer English speakers. Many of these companies will give you international communication responsibilities that could utilize either or both languages!
- BUSINESS HUB: Barcelona is a thriving business hub for both startup companies and established international organizations. With professionals from various nationalities and language backgrounds, this cosmopolitan city prides itself on diversity and innovation. Entrepreneurship is highly supported by the government, which allows public and private business organizations of all sizes to flourish.
- QUALITY OF LIFE: Barcelona understands the work/life balance, and while employees work hard, they take time to enjoy a leisurely lunch, hold meetings over a cafe con leche and build business relations through “afterwork” social gatherings. By interning through Barcelona SAE, you will not only gain practical skills in your field but also have the chance to create and grow meaningful international network connections that go beyond the office.
- PRESTIGE WORLDWIDE: Every year, Barcelona draws international conferences, workshops, and professional exhibitions that showcase cutting-edge innovation. Past events have included the Mobile World Congress, the International Food and Drinks Exhibition, and even the Olympic Games.
Students will spend approximately 20 hours per week at their internship placement, although the specific schedule for each intern will vary slightly according to the needs of their company.
Interns generally arrive on a Monday and have orientation during their first week to help prepare for the cultural, professional, and logistical differences in Barcelona. Within a few days of arrival, interns will meet their supervisors, accompanied by a Barcelona SAE staff member, to discuss job responsibilities, expectations and set goals.
Barcelona SAE offers customizable placements in the following fields:
Don’t see your major listed? Don’t worry! Since our internships are 100% customized, just contact an advisor today and we’ll help you find the placement that’s right for you!
- Culinary Arts
- Event Planning
- Government & Politics
- Graphic Design
- Health & Fitness
- Hospitality & Tourism
- Information Technology
- International Business
- Public Relations
- …and MORE!
All Barcelona SAE Customized Internships Include:
Countdown to Barcelona:
- Professional Skype Interview
- Cover Letter & Resume Coaching
- Personalized Advising
- One Year Digital Subscription to the New York Times
While in Barcelona:
- Customized Internship Placement
- Airport Pick-Up (Must Arrive BEFORE 12pm on Program Start Date)
- Logistical & Cultural Orientations
- Staff Escort to First Day of Internship
- Intensive Spanish Language Courses
- Housing for the Duration of Program (Homestays include Breakfast/Dinner!)
- Comprehensive Medical & Accident Insurance
- 24-Hour Emergency Support
- English-Speaking Staff
Professional, Cultural, & Social Activities:
- The Barcelona SAE Bucket List
- Day Trip(s) to Discover Catalonia (Girona, Montserrat, Figures, Besalú, etc.)
- Weekly Cultural Agenda (The Local Perspective of What’s Happening Each Week!)
- Weekly Cultural Activities (Cooking Classes, Dance Lessons, Barrio Tours, and MORE!)
- Monthly Professional Agenda
- Working Across Cultures Workshop (Summer Interns)
- Cultural Mentor Program
- Welcome Activity
- Re-Entry Workshop & Farewell Meal
A weekend excursion(s) outside of Barcelona is available at an additional cost.
For Continued Success After the Program:
- Alumni & Career Services
- Invitation to Barcelona SAE’s LinkedIn Alumni Group
- Opportunity to Apply for Barcelona SAE’s “Best of the Best” Internship Program
- Opportunity to Apply to be a “Barcelona SAE Campus Ambassador Intern” on Your Home Campus
- Invitations to Study Abroad & Internship Returnee Conferences Throughout the U.S.
…and SO MUCH MORE!
The Program Does Not Include:
- Round-Trip Airfare to/from Barcelona
- Visa Costs (If Applicable)
- Mobile Phones & Charges
- Local Transportation
- Personal Items
So…what are you waiting for? APPLY TODAY and get ready to embark on the Barcelona experience of a lifetime!
NC State Application Instructions
(Please read each step carefully)
All transcripts should be sent to the NC State Study Abroad Office
- Submit an application through Barcelona SAE to the Customized Internship program.
- Barcelona SAE will require your NC State study abroad advisor to approve your application. Please note that before they can approve your Barcelona SAE application, you will need to have submitted your PackAbroad application and be in Accepted status.
- NOTE: NC State students are required to transfer back the academic credit they earn for this internship.
- Complete an NC State application for Barcelona SAE by clicking 'Apply Now' on this page.
- NC State students will receive an automatic affiliate partner grant towards your Barcelona SAE program (approximately $500). They also have a variety of merit- and need-based scholarships and other grants available.
- Financial aid is generally available to help qualified NC State students to meet the expenses of study abroad. For additional funding, NC State students should consider applying for a study abroad scholarship, and check out other ideas for funding study abroad