The NC State European Center in Prague is NC State’s only permanent international facility and welcomes students from all academic disciplines. Students earn NC State credit hours in one of Europe's most beautiful cities.
For more information, please visit prague.ncsu.edu
Session Dates: May 13 – June 23, 2019
Application Deadline: February 15, 2018
Applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis
This Computer Science course will be co-taught by Dr. Matthias Stallmann from NC State and Dr. Ondřej Čepek from Charles University in Prague. Charles University students will join the course, alongside NC State students for an immersive cross-cultural learning experience. CSC 333 students will choose an additional course to take at NC State Prague, allowing them to be enrolled full-time during the six-week summer session. Students participate in group excursions in and around Prague, exposing them to the rich cultural history of central Europe.
CSC 333 is the study of three classical formal models of computation–finite state machines, context-free grammars, and Turing machines–and the corresponding families of formal languages. Power and limitations of each model. Parsing. Non-determinism. The Halting Problem and undecidability. The classes P and NP, and NP-completeness. In addition to classroom lectures, this class will utilize the city of Prague to explore the concepts as they relate to local perspectives.
Students receive NC State credit for CSC 333. The course is open to all students, as long as they meet the GPA requirement and prerequisites.
Prerequisite: Grade of C or better in either MA 225 or CSC 226
- Summer 2019 Courses
- Students must enroll in CSC 333 and at least 1 other course from the NC State Prague courses.
- Each course will be offered contingent upon meeting minimum enrollment.
- NC State Program Cost
- $5,300 (This does not include the $450 application fee)
- Program Dates
- May 13 - June 23, 2019
- May 13: Arrival Day
- May 14: Mandatory On-Site Orientation
- May 15: First Day of Class
- June 20: Last Day of Class
- June 21:Clean-Up Day
- June 23: Departure Day
- Prague, Czech Republic; Other Czech cities
- 3.0+ GPA
- be in good-standing with the Office of Student Conduct
- meet the minimum eligibility policy set forth by the NC State Study Abroad Office